Tuesday 9 February 2010

Periwinkle and Basil

Periwinkle is my new favourite word. I just love saying it. As mentioned in my previous post, the colour is featured in Thea & Sami's new Cottage Garden fabric collection. I think I first heard the word when I discovered Laura Ashley and owned one of her decorating books from the 80s.

Being a true nerd, I needed to know a little more about the flowers that are commonly used as a ground cover.
The plant is native to central and southern Europe and can be used for medicinal purposes when dried.

Our new Hydrangea fabric is now available printed on hemp/organic cotton. One of the colours we have chosen is the Periwinkle. This looks so pretty and is perfect for European-inspired Country Living.

The colour of hydrangeas range from pinks to blues and everything in between and can be controlled by adjusting the pH level of your soil. Blue flowers bloom when the soil is acidic. Am I the only one that thinks that is truly amazing?

Our second colourway is a green inspired by basil, an aromatic herb usually found growing in every Mediterranean garden. I love fresh basil in tomato salad.

Our Cottage Garden design is now available in the hemp/organic cotton fabric too and hand-printed in our studio with toxic-free, water-based inks. The printed colour seen here is Basil Green. Both fabrics are offered in either colour and designed to complement each other, making them ideal for home decor projects.

The designs have been printed on organic cotton canvas and organic fashion fabrics and I will be adding those to the website soon!


We are still to include a third ink colour to the palette for the hemp blend fabric so please leave your suggestions by next Tuesday week (Feb 16th). One of you will be randomly selected to receive a 1/2 metre of your choice to play with. All blog followers (no need to comment) will also go into the draw for a mystery gift. Please ensure that I have a way of contacting you if you don't have a blog link.

Giveaway winners have now been announced.

Images sourced from here and here.

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Ah yes, periwinkle. Well i knew it from the beach - but also when working at Myer as a Uni student, they had Dri Glo towels in periwinkle, which from memory was a deeper purple. Ah, silly names which make you smile. Love your work, love Posie

Creative Arty Facts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Creative Arty Facts said...

Oh, I just love the periwinkle and basil colour combination Thea - it's one of my favourites!
I think a "burnt orange" would contrast the green and the purple beautifully!

Sorry ~ am reposting as I spotted a spelling mistake!

bubbachenille said...

I love the freshness these two new colours incite, but I do love the new print too!

ECOINSPIRED said...

Hydrangeas are fascinating.....one of my favourite flowers. Even when the petals aren't out the buds can look so pretty.
I love your basil green colour in this design...it's sure to be popular.

Turquoise, Turquoise, Turquoise......is my pick for your third colour! I always like blues and greens.

Great blog post Thea and good luck with the new range.

Exquisite Accessories said...

I can smell that Basil from here one of my fav herbs love putting it in my pasta dishes, I would love to see a bright yellow as I'm just into yellow at the moment so fresh & would go so well with the green. :)

Allison said...

Periwinkle, basil and persimmon!
I love saying the word Persimmon. It has a nice clanky ring to it don't you think? I also love the colour. It seems to go with almost everything.
Allison xx

julie said...

That's so funny Posie Patchwork - I worked at Myer in the towel department while I was at Uni too and I remember Periwinkle! It really is a great name Thea. I love the Basil colourl too, I'm a green girl at heart. The white on black is really striking. How about a pretty light watermelon pink for the third colour?? I am always drawn to warm pinks.

Bec said...

Oh Thea that green colour way is just stunning!!!! So fresh and vibrant - really love it. I think I'm going with the previous commenter who is into yellow. A little while ago I was looking for something in a nice bright buttery yellow but could only find muted mustardy colours. Love that old fashioned daffodil yellow colour - so happy ;)

Pesky Cat Designs said...

How about pumpkin spice?! A nice burnt orange color would look nice with the other two colors. Love this new print. I can picture it on everything from kitchen towels to spring dresses. :)

AJMC said...

My thoughts were soft musk stick pink or pumpkin - not original ideas as I see other commenters have the same idea.
So.... how about brown? Reddish brown??
Bye
A

Megan said...

in keeping with the plant theme and also absolutely perfect in any cottage garden - lavendar. a nice shade of lavendar would look beautiful with those wonderful shades of periwinkle and basil.

love the new prints, particularly the hydrangea :)

Thea said...

Thanks ladies. I'm not necessarily looking for original ideas but am more interested in popular opinion, Outback Girl.

Sandra Eterovic said...

Hi Thea,
Your new fabrics look gorgeous. I would like to declare that I too think that hydrangeas are amazing with ph colour changes & each one is like a little bunch of flowers.
I also enjoyed your interview with your assistant. All the best with your blogging class, busy woman! :)

Lisa said...

I would have to suggest grey. I don't know why, but i just loooooove grey at the moment.

I love your prints.

Lis

Patty said...

I was thinking of a peachy shade of orange. For some reason I can't seem to get enough orange fabrics right now....I just love that color.

Anonymous said...

Orange! I'm loving orange so my vote would be for a bold, fresh orange or maybe a pinky orange. Love the green and periwinkle!
Renae

Related Posts with Thumbnails