Friday 3 September 2010

Friday Follower - Gillian

The talents of this week's Friday Follower, Gillian Hamilton, will delight both scrapbooking fans and jewellery lovers. Let's get to know her a little better.


Who is Eclectic Me?

Oh, that would be me, Gillian Hamilton, wife of Andrew and mother of three children aged 14, 11 and 9. We live together in the beautiful coastal town of Port Macquarie in New South Wales, Australia. The name Eclectic Me is the name I chose when I started blogging back in 2006. I thought it described me and my Craft perfectly.

What do you make?
I make hand-made collaged cards, many of each have been published in Australian paper craft magazines; I've been featured in some international publications too. I also make and sell handmade jewellery perfect for those with a love of nostalgic whimsy.

I have tried most crafts over the years and find myself drawn back to my childhood love of crochet at the moment and have completed several projects in the last couple of months for my children and our home.

I am also learning, thanks to a friend, lino block printing and enjoying this very much although I haven't shown any of my prints on my blog at this stage. And I like to cook, which I find enjoyable.

What inspires you?
The love I feel from my family. I find that being loved and feeling that love on a daily basis provides inspiration beyond my talent and time. I know I am blessed to not only have a husband who supports my creative endeavours but also children who love to create beside me from time to time. In fact, having a child sit beside you and sharing your skills with them can not only be inspiring but exciting. I am often left in wonder watching a child create and how beautifully they express themselves.

Do you have any professional training?
No, I do not. I do however have practical training. I managed an Art & Craft store in my home town of Inverell for 5 years before I had my children. In that time, I learnt much from a very talented employer who shared so much of her artistic knowledge and passion with me. I have also taught many classes over the years from silk ribbon embroidery through to scrapbooking.

Where can we purchase your products?
I have a couple of online stores trading under the name Eclectic Moi. At this time, only my jewellery is sold but I do hope in the future to include many of my handmade cards and and mixed media pieces. I am on MadeIt and also on Etsy.

Would you share something interesting about you that isn't common knowledge?
My great, great, great, great, great grandfather and grandmother were transported to Australia as convicts from England. My grandfather was accused of 'feloniously cutting, damaging and spoiling at Rotherhilde a headfast affixed to a certain vessel' and arrived to Australia from England on the ship 'Surprise' as part of the Second Fleet.

My grandmother was convicted for 'stealing a lace hankerchief' in Middlesex and arrived July 9th, 1791 on the ship 'Mary Ann'. They waited to get married until my grandfather was a 'free man'. His certificate of freedom is dated 29th September, 1810 and seven weeks later they were married and had 4 children.

Wow! That is an interesting history. Thank you for sharing with us Gillian. My ancestors were allegedly pirates of the Mediterranean. I don't know that for sure but I do know that I had a great childhood holiday in Port Macquarie and I remember being impressed when my father caught a small shark fishing off the rocks.

To see more of Gillian's work and to say hello, please visit Eclectic Me.

All images are courtesy of Gillian Hamilton.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails