Friday 26 November 2010

Friday Follower - Elisa

This week's Friday Follower is Elisa Nadzieja who lives in St. Augustine, Florida. Elisa makes beautiful hand-bags that she sells on Etsy and is one of my earliest and most loyal blog followers. It's my pleasure to share her work so please read on.

What is the name of your business and where did it come from?

The name of my business is Pesky Cat Designs. When I first started sewing on a regular basis my kitty Anni (seen modelling above) would constantly pull on loose threads while I worked and would often be so bothersome that I would have to stop. When it came time to name my shop I could not think of anything more appropriate than Pesky Cat Designs.


Elisa - designer, maker and model.


What do you sell?

I create handmade bags inspired by nature. I use a variety of textiles ranging from corduroy to Harris Tweed wool. Many of the bags are adorned with appliqués that are designed by me, hand cut and machine sewn onto the bag. I purchase all my fabrics in small quantities to keep the work fresh and unique.


How did you start your craft business?

My business began shortly after I made a few bags for myself and got positive feedback from family and friends. At that point in my life I had painted for many years and was looking for a new creative outlet. You can view my works on paper at www.elisanadzieja.com



Is it your full-time occupation?

Since moving from New York City, Pesky Cat Designs is my full time occupation. One of the motivating factors for my recent move was to find a less expensive place to live so I could concentrate on my business full time.



Do you have any formal training?
I do not have any formal training in sewing but my mother was an incredible seamstress and I learned a lot from her. She would sew clothing for us and even for my dolls. I was the only kid in town that had Barbie dolls with one-of-a-kind dresses. My mother was also an amazing painter.


Would you share something interesting about you that isn't common knowledge?

Although I started out in art school, I have a Bachelors degree in Science. I worked for many years in the field of Microbiology. Instead of a microscope, I now spend many hours sitting in front of a sewing machine and could not be happier.


Thanks Elisa! It's amazing how many creative types have scientific backgrounds. We're glad you gave up the microscope.


To see Elisa and her creations on YouTube with a gorgeous Florida beach as a backdrop click here. You can see and buy Elisa's bags through her Etsy Shop.


All images are courtesy of Pesky Cat Designs.

8 comments:

Pesky Cat Designs said...

Thanks so much Thea for putting together this lovely feature! I'm honored to be here. Wishing you a wonderful Friday and weekend ahead!

Raine and Sage said...

What a talented lady! I love a story of somebody following their heart and passion.

Sandrine said...

Thanks Thea for sharing Elisa's story. I love her work and she is such a talented and lovely creative!
So funny to read about so many science background here!xx

Georgy said...

What gorgoues handbags, particularly love the owl one. My almost 5 year old daughter is into owls and just bought her a whole lot of owl things for her birthday for her room. Thanks for sharing will certainly go and check out the Etsy shop. G

Amy said...

I love Elisa! She is the sweetest person and makes lovely bags. Nice feature!

Kellie Collis said...

The bags are gorgeous! Loving the owl bag! Have a beautiful day, Kellie xx

Unknown said...

another compulsive bag maker, at least once or twice a year, ............love your bags

Yael said...

Wonderful interview with a lovely talented and creative woman!

Related Posts with Thumbnails