Thursday 25 November 2010

Making Lemonade

It's official. We will never be permitted to build a screen-printing studio on our home property. The application has been rejected by the Mains Road Department because traffic to and from the studio may cause major traffic jams - just one of the reasons cited. Whatever.

But you know what? I'm okay with it because I was already worried about the 100 square metre building restriction that we would have had to adhere to. It really isn't big enough for a second yardage-printing table and everything else that I want to include. Thus, we are now looking for a much bigger studio to rent in the Capalaba neighbourhood since our current lease has expired. It will probably be better to keep work and home separate.

As for the old shed, neither the Mr nor I want to keep looking at it so we simultaneously came up with the idea of installing a lap pool in its place. If that's not making lemonade out of the lemons that have been thrown at us, I don't know what is. We have a large property but can't dig in our front yard because of the septic tank that is buried there so this is the ideal location.

We're researching pools now so I will keep you updated on our progress. Councils don't reject pool applications, do they?

17 comments:

petals and vintage said...

Sorry to hear of the Council rejection. I know you put a lot of time and money into your application.
Sounds like you are focusing on the positive and moving on Thea. Love the idea of a lap pool and best of luck finding bigger space.
Pam x

Taybian Design said...

Sounds like a fabulous idea Thea! Everything happens for a reason.Can't wait to see pics when it's finished (this summer?? he he)

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

that certainly is making lemons-
I am so sorry to hear about the rejection- we live in an HOA so I can relate to being told what you can and cannot do!

Tania said...

Oh blimey. Here's to the success of a lap pool application so you can swim some zen...

Creative Arty Facts said...

This is really a sign Thea - someone higher up is really saying to you that you have factor in some rest and relaxing into your routine!

brismod said...

I like your attitude Thea. A pool is definitely moving forward! xx

Kasia said...

You certainly are making lemonade out of the council's lemons! Two thumbs up for the pool!
Best wishes
xxx kasia

julie said...

NO WAY! Council suck. Oh well, onwards and upwards, good on you for being so positive Thea. I would be throwing bricks at someone. Big hugs :)

Unknown said...

I'm certain the right studio will come your way...have fun with deciding which pool design to go for :)

the old boathouse said...

Hi Thea, I can't type what expletive I said when I read this. But as someone who works from home I understand how good it can be but also I can tell you that I dream of having a space away from home. You are constantly on when you work from home and it is so hard to get the balance. Clients never seem to understand how hard it is and think it fine to call any day at any time because they know you are there and they think you are horrible if you try and keep the two seperate. So maybe in the end it may just be the best thing, fingers crossed for you, xx Katherine

Anonymous said...

thats right Thea, one door closes and another one opens so they say! the pool idea is amazing, and there some gorgeous designs around. So nice to meet you on Sunday - what a great bunch of girlfriends you have!

Belle Inspirations said...

Thea, Firstly thankyou for visiting my blog I am now a follower of you so thankyou, another gal from Brisvegas! I hope I can inspire you and many others, love your blog!

Life in the Country Lane said...

Hmmm must have been initially a difficult thing to hear, but, I say the pool is meant to be!! Great logic in keeping the home and business separate. You seem to be growing and going so well with your business, the lap pool is definitely going to be a wind down area at the end of a long day at the studio.
Rebecca x

Kellie Collis said...

Wow! A pool! I can't wait to see it finished! Have a lovely day, Kellie xx

Penny said...

Ooh a pool! That's definitely lemonade.

Thea said...

Fingers crossed everybody. We've just been told that again, because we are on a main road that the Main Roads Dept has a say in the approval process. Boo!

polly pratt said...

Love the idea of a lap pool.

Related Posts with Thumbnails