Thursday 7 July 2011

Upholstery Class - Day 3

How tired was I? I just woke up after falling asleep on the sofa for 4 and a half hours! Upholstery is hard work but you can now peek at what fabric I'm using. This was Wednesday's body of work.

The fabric was attached over the front of the chair back. I chose our Cottage Garden print in Periwinkle in hemp/organic cotton.

Hessian (burlap) was tightly secured over the springs as a base for all other layers.

Two layers of original stuffing were in great condition and reused. Layer one was stapled into place to prevent it from moving.

The second layer of stuffing was spread over the sharp edges of the wooden frame for cushioning.

A layer of foam was laid over the wadding. This was relatively easy to stretch but needs a gentle touch when stapling as it does leave holes. The access is always trimmed away.

One of my most frustrating tasks was trying to pull the foam through the back of the chair. You can see that mine ripped but will do the job.

The fabric was pleated over the curved corner and then trimmed away all around.

Each day has been more exciting for me as my chair takes on a new life. I hope you think so too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails